The Microsoft Xbox is a sixth generation era video game console first released on November 15, 2001 in North America and Puerto Rico, then released on February 22, 2002 in Japan, and on March 14, 2002 in Europe. The Xbox was Microsoft's first independent venture into the video game console arena, after having developed the operating system and development tools for the MSX, and having collaborated with Sega in porting Windows CE to the Sega Dreamcast console. Notable launch titles for the console include Amped, Dead or Alive 3, Halo: Combat Evolved, Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee, and Project Gotham Racing.
North America (USA, Canada and Mexico): NTSC
Azi� (Hongkong, Japan, Korea, Singapore en Taiwan): NTSC-J
Europe, South-Africa en New-Zealand: PAL
- CPU: Micro PGA2 733 MHz Intel Coppermine Core. Basically a Pentium III.
- Intel IA-32 instruction set
- SIMD: SSE. Four single-precision floating-point numbers in one instruction.
- Theoretical maximum 4 FLOPS/cycle (2.9 gigaFLOPS for Xbox)
- Pentium III had architectural drawbacks that lessened real-world SSE throughput.
- SIMD: MMX. Integer functions. Switching between FPU and MMX is slow, so not of great use for 3D rendering tasks. Often used for audio and video.
- 133 MHz FSB. Same as fastest Pentium III EB CPUs.
- 32 kB L1 cache. 128 kB L2 Advanced Transfer Cache (256-bit). Same size as Celeron, but 8-way associative like Pentium III E.
- 64 MB DDR SDRAM running at 200 MHz
- Graphics Processor: 233 MHz custom chip "NV2A", developed by Microsoft and nVIDIA (fits between GeForce 3 and GeForce 4 in capability). Enhanced vertex processing with 2 vertex shaders, and more flexible pixel shading than DirectX 8.
- Theoretical Geometry Rate: 115+ million vertices/second
- Theoretical Particle Performance: 125 M/s
- Pipeline Configuration: 4 pixel pipelines with 2 texture units each
- Theoretical Pixel Fill Rate: 932 Megapixels/second (233 MHz x 4 pipelines)
- Theoretical Texture Fill Rate: 1,864 Megatexels/second (932 MP x 2 texture units)
- Simultaneous Textures: 4
- Compressed Textures: Yes (6:1 through DDS)
- Full Scene Anti-Aliasing: Yes
- Maximum Resolution (2x32bpp frame buffers +Z): 1920(vert.)x1080(horiz)
- Audio Processor : nVIDIA MCPX (a.k.a. Soundstorm NVAPU)
- Audio Channels: 64 3D channels (up to 256 stereo voices)
- 3D Audio Support: HRTF Sensaura 3D enhancement.
- MIDI DLS2 Support: Yes
- AC3 (Dolby Digital) Encoded Game Audio: Yes (via TOSLINK)