Named for its 64 bit processor, it was released on June 23, 1996 in Japan, September 29, 1996 in North America and Brazil, March 1, 1997 in Europe and Australia, and September 1, 1997 in France.
- CPU: MIPS 64-bit RISC CPU (customized R4000 series) Clock Speed: 93.75 MHz
- CO-PROCESSOR: RCP: SP (sound and graphics processor) and DP (pixel drawing processor) incorporated. Clock Speed: 62.5MHz
- Main RAM: RAMBUS D-RAM 36M bit Transfer Speed: maximum 4,500M bit/sec.
- 256 x 224 ~ 640 x 480 dots
- Flicker-free interlace mode support
- Color frame buffer support
- 21-bit color video output
- Z buffer
- Realistic texture mapping: Tri-linear filtered MIP-map interpolation
- Perspective correction, Environment mapping